Kannada is a Dravidian language spoken predominantly by the people of Karnataka in the southwestern region of India. The language is also spoken by linguistic minorities in the states of Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Kerala, and Goa; and also by Kannadigas abroad. The language had roughly 43 million native speakers by 2011. Kannada is also spoken as a second and third language by over 12.9 million non-native speakers in Karnataka, which adds up to 56.9 million speakers. It is one of the scheduled languages of India and the official and administrative language of the state of Karnataka. Kannada was the court language of some of the most powerful empires of South and Central India, such as the Chalukya dynasty, the Rashtrakuta dynasty, the Vijayanagara Empire, and the Hoysala Empire.
The Kannada language is written using the Kannada script, which evolved from the 5th-century Kadamba script. Kannada is attested epigraphically for about one and a half millennia and literary Old Kannada flourished in the 6th-century Ganga dynasty and during the 9th-century Rashtrakuta Dynasty. Kannada has an unbroken literary history of over a thousand years. Kannada literature has been presented with 8 Jnanpith awards, the most for any Dravidian language and the second-highest for any Indian language
Important things to know
The opportunities are vast if you have your mind fixed to settle in Karnataka. None should think that Kannada has no scope.
- You can become a news broadcaster for Karnataka’s new channels after completion of your broadcast journalism/ mass communication at the UG level.
- If you know Kannada, the first thing to consider in terms of increased use is being able to teach that language to others. You have three basic options here: classroom teacher, private tutor, and online tutor.
- One can be a freelancer that takes the contracts from companies that gives transcription tasks for the Kannada language.
- A translator job is one of the scopes for people who have studied a diploma course or degree in the Kannada language.
- Students with higher secondary education levels can go for Telesales executive, Customer Service Executive.
- People who are non-native with a Kannada language diploma or degree certificate can become content writers for the Kannada language.
- A group of entrepreneurs can start a private online language teaching platform for those who wish to learn Kannada.
There are more scopes of career and advantages for learning Kannada language or any other languages. If you are settling in Kannada, there’s no way that you can avoid speaking the Kannada language.
The reality is that learning new skills improves all facets of your lives every day. You can improve your career chances, learn about the world around you and become a better person in general by acquiring new skills.
There are no disadvantages to learning any language. Don’t tell yourself or let the people around you tell you what and what not you have to study. Your life decisions should be decided by you, not the people. There are no wrongdoings in learning something you love.
Now what is left to start learning is your decision and your determination. You will need to make a decision for yourself as you are the only person who knows what is best for you. Check your money and time factor, priority in learning the language, and go for the best program. It is always an achievement to learn new languages.
Don’t you feel proud to have learned a language that isn’t your mother tongue but you are able to speak with a native?