How to practice Hindi?
Spoken by over 592 million people across the globe, Hindi is a language that originated from India and is extracted from the ancient language of Sanskrit. Hindi is the fourth most-spoken language in the world, after Mandarin, Spanish and English. Although it isn’t India’s official language, yet it is spoken by about 40% of the entire Indian population. The Modern Standard Hindi is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in India. It is an official language in 9 States and 3 Union Territories and an additional official language in 3 other States. Hindi is also one of the 22 scheduled languages of the Republic of India.
Speaking Hindi has a lot of benefits. Apart from being the fourth most spoken language, it is also profitable for a business and anyone who wishes to pursue higher studies in India. The Indian economy is the second-fastest-growing economy in the world after China. It is also handy if you wish to explore the Hindu religion and the Indian culture. With so many benefits accompanying the language, there’s no doubt that learning this language is highly beneficial in nature.
If you have started to learn the language but aren’t sure how to practice Hindi, then here are some steps to help you with that problem. Before you analyse the steps, you must identify which skill are you looking to practice, is it reading, writing or speaking.
In any case, the following are steps to help you practice Hindi divided on the basis of which skill you are looking to practice:
If you are looking to practice your reading skills but seem to find it difficult to do so, then the following steps should help you out:
- Constantly read all sorts of literature in Hindi. It doesn’t necessarily have to be study material, it could simply be a good book, a magazine or even a daily newspaper.
- Label things in your house. Labelling things in your house in Hindi is going to force you to constantly read, identify and finally memorize the objects.
- Change your language settings in all your electronics to Hindi. Changing the default language to Hindi in all your electronics will immune your brain to understand and memorize complicated and general words, phrases and sentences.
If you’re looking to practice or improve your writing skills but find it difficult to do so, then the following steps should help you out:
- Maintain a journal. When you hear or read a complicated or unusual word, phrase or sentence in Hindi, note it down in your journal. This will help you memorize them
- Write your daily chores or any important work, grocery lists in Hindi. Basically, anything that requires you to write it daily should be written in Hindi.
- Practice topic writing as well. You can choose a topic of your choice and write on that on a daily basis in Hindi.
If you’re looking to practice or improve your speaking skills but find it difficult to do so, then the following steps should help you out:
- Watch movies of your choice in Hindi with subtitles or previously watched videos in Hindi to identify and learn the pronunciation.
- Listen to Hindi songs or podcasts on topics that interest you in Hindi while you are working, getting groceries or doing anything of importance to pick up on the vocabulary.
- Converse with natives or people who know to speak Hindi. Actively participate in or initiate a conversation in Hindi. You can also ask for feedback to improve yourself.
These are some of the ways in which you can practice and improve your reading, writing or speaking skills in Hindi. Identify which skill requires practice or improvement, after which, follow the prescribed steps.