The journey from ‘Kannada Barolla’ to ‘swalpa barutte’, and then to ‘Kannada Barotte’ can be a pleasant and exciting ride if you choose the right path. Kannada is a very simple yet rich language. If you have a real interest in the language, it is possible to speak reasonable Kannada within one month, with very little effort.
The first step is to get familiarised with the structure of the language. To achieve this, hear more and more Kannada on Radio, TV and also try to catch the live conversations.
Easy learning: A few tips
- Watching Kannada movies (preferably with subtitles), can be of great help. This is an important and entertaining way to improve your language skills.
- Do not hesitate. Speak the language at every possible opportunity.
- Never mind if you are using less Kannada and more English words. Kanglish is anyway popular in Bangalore. However, constantly try to improve your Kannada vocabulary.
- Watch Kannada news. This is not only helpful in learning the language but will help you to know your city better.
- If you are a user of public transport, carefully listen to co-passengers’ conversations.
- Enjoy the local tang of the language by listening to Kannada FM stations.
- Do not completely rely on ‘Learn Kannada in 30 days’ type of books. Many Bangaloreans will fail to comprehend your textbook language and you are sure to face some embarrassment if you go strictly by books.
A step-by-step guide to learn conversation Kannada
- Learn a few salutations, greetings, and expressions: Namaskara, Hegiddeera, Chennagideera, etc.
- It is always better to use the plural form to address a singular person when we speak politely.
- Learn words for queries – Who, Why, When, Where, Which, How, etc. (Yaaru, Yaake, Yaavaga, Elli, Enu, Hege, etc)
- List the important verbs required in everyday conversation.
- Learn the pronouns. (he, she, it / avanu, avaLu, adu)
- Gender, time, numbers, cardinals, colors, names of vegetables, fruits, pulses, etc
- Tenses – Use the verbs in present, past, and future tenses·
- Learn Conjunctions which eventually help to make complex sentences.(and, but, or / mattu, aadare, athava etc.)
- Make simple sentences indicating – Request, Advise, Order, Interrogation, Negation, Assertive, etc.
There is nothing better than trying to speak in a language that helps you learn the language better. If you follow the above-mentioned steps, it is fairly possible to speak at least broken Kannada and make meaningful conversations in a month’s time.
There are many avenues to learn Kannada such as Spoken Kannada classes, online classes, websites, and books. But face to face learning in a group with the help of a tutor is the best way. A number of organizations are teaching spoken Kannada as well as written Kannada to non-Kannadigas.
Never fear: we’re here to give you recommendations on the best courses, apps, classes, textbooks, and more for learning this poetic language, as well as several study tips. We’ll also explore how difficult Kannada is and the best way to learn the Kannada script.