Importance of Craft
Nowadays, educationalist uses the word Arts & Crafts together for craft education because of the creativity that crafts involve. Crafting has so much strength when it comes to portraying creativity and your heritage. Craft is not only about its mesmerizing design. Every great piece of craft tells a story itself because craft has both cultural and environmental conceptual background. It is truly amazing to see the intricate works printed or sewed on a cloth. Alternatively, maybe even pottery and dolls made of clay. Crafting is a way of spending your spare time and it intensifies the beauty of your house and makes it more sophisticated. Besides, with today’s increasing market demand, handcrafts are now
Craft education in today’s world
Considering our socio-economic status, there’s no other alternative to increase productivity among women and teenagers. If you are a housewife or a teenager who wants to make some extra cash by doing what you love, learning about it will help you a great deal.
So why not get a proper craft education and make the best of it? There are lots of grounds that involve craft in daily life. Mainly crafting is divided and then subdivided into many categories. The main two divisions that craft involve are decorative and functional. Within the decorative division, there are handicrafts such as sewing, making blankets, rugs, carpets, jewelry, tapestry, embroidery, knitting, etc. Some crafts include woods, metals, and clays, which can be classified as decorative and functional as utensils made of metals and toys can be useful for household purposes and also for children. On the other hand, toys and other showpieces can make your home look gorgeous. Decorating your house with crafts displays that you value art and the fact that you have good taste and shows that you admire your culture. There are many companies which pay good money for handcrafts. So if you already have craft as a hobby, you can make a great fortune out of it. All you are going to need is some guidance, encouragement for your productive hobbies, a methodical approach to launch your product in the market, and ideas about your net buyers and also about the production.
Here are a few reasons why everyone should take a craft class
1. Improve motor skills and coordination: Doing craft and craft activities aid in developing both large and small muscles and eye-hand coordination. They also help children learn fine motor control, which is crucial for writing. Activities like gripping a color pencil or a paintbrush, using scissors, squeezing the bottle of glue, or rolling play dough develops and improves dexterity. Since children use both hands for these activities, their coordination also improves.
2. Enhance cognitive skills: These activities employ the senses and encourage neural connections. Children’s brain synapses (connecting points between brain cells) are stimulated as they experiment and create. Also, craft promotes ‘executive function’ – a set of mental skills that help us pay attention, switch focus, plan and organize, multitask, remember details and manage time.
3. Encourage self-expression: Children love to visualize and express. However, lack of adequate language skills prevents them from conveying their thoughts. So, they are always looking for ways to express what is there in their mind. Craft activities allow children to express themselves freely. These activities also provide children with a creative outlet to explore and communicate their feelings and safely deal with scary emotions.
4. Teach self-regulation: craft activities relieve stress, promote calm and self-regulation. For instance, when using watercolors to paint, children need to wait for a coat to dry before applying the next one. This teaches them to persevere and be patient.
5. Develop self-esteem: Creating a piece of art, however simple, enhances children’s self-esteem. When a child completes a craft and craft activity and adults praise him, he feels happy and confident. So, it is essential to choose craft and craft activities based on the age of children. Also, adults must keep in mind that when a child finishes his activity, he should be praised for his effort and not the product.
6. Boost creative skills: craft is a domain where children can use their active imagination productively. According to the US-based International Child craftFoundation, children exposed to craft acquire the unique ability to think creatively, be original and discover new things.
7. Nurture problem-solving skills: Dealing with an artistic challenge helps develop problem-solving skills. Planning and executing a creative project require children to make choices and take decisions. Working independently, evaluating their own decisions, and, perhaps, changing them sharpens critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
8. Foster social skills: Working together on creative activities allows children to share and interact with each other. Also, putting materials away and cleaning up after they are through with their activity helps them learn about teamwork and responsibility.
9. Adapt to changes: There is no right or wrong way of exploring one’s creativity. After drawing a picture or painting an image, often, children would look at their work, contemplate and make changes. This helps them learn to make and accept changes and adjust to them.
10. Augment visual processing skills: craft activities that help children recognize patterns, colors, and shapes, enhance visual processing skills.
Advantages of taking craft course
1. It’s a stress reliever
Again, being a dedicated full-time student is hard work. Every teacher feels like their class is the only class you’re taking, and on top of that, you’re still trying to juggle your personal life. Taking a craft class is a great stress reliever – and you get credit for it!
2. You’ll learn a new skill
You will not take a craft class without learning something new. Even if you are relatively good at art, you’ll still learn something new. By the end of the semester, you will have created a piece of craft that you can’t help but be proud of because you made it. This is a great feeling. Why not learn something new for a change?
3. There’s bound to be at least one scorching person in there
When I took my first craft class, I could hardly focus because there were so many beautiful people there with me, not just beautiful either. Many of them were passionate and expressionistic, and as a Scorpio woman, that is incredibly sexy to me. I enjoyed seeing the different ways people expressed themselves and how that translated into their artwork.
4. You can express yourself freely
In a craft class, you can express yourself freely. You will be able to transform your feelings into that craft piece you’ll be so proud of. You can really learn a lot about yourself when taking a craft class because it requires you to be creative and to really get in tune with your emotions. At least that’s what it did for me.
5. You’ll put your creativity to use at least twice a week
You’d be surprised at how little people exercise their creative minds. Such a pity. Taking a craft class will allow you to put your creativity to work as often as that class meets, and that’s a great thing, seriously. It will show in your mood that you’re broadening your mind. You may even find that you want to keep practicing your craft even after the class is over!
6. It’s fun
The bottom line is that you can get college credit for taking a class that is fun. Yes, it’s still a class, but it’s an enjoyable class. On top of that, there are various types of craft classes that you can take and so many new things you can learn. It’s not like taking a class that once it’s over, you never use that skill again – like algebra. So take advantage and make some room in your schedule next semester for a craft class!
So why not get a proper craft education and make the best of it?