How to stop my second language deterioration?
The language that we speak the most after our second language is known as our second language. Any language can be a second language for any person. In most of countries including India, English is the most common second language. The other common languages that can be a second language for a large number of people are French, German, Chinese, Russian, and Hindi.
Use of the second language
Many people learn a second language for their education, career, business, or travelling purpose. It makes them able to do work in foreign countries or with foreigners, or with the people who speak that language. Many times it happens that you become so indulged in the use of a second language that you use only that language.
Reason for deterioration of the second language
When you leave practising your second language due to any of the following reasons, your language deteriorates:
Change of environment around you
When people around you don’t speak your second language, you have to speak with them in your native language. This makes you unable to practice speaking. This happens when you change your city or job.
Going to a foreign country
It may happen that you go to a country where the people use any other language. It also breaks your connection to the second language.
How to stop deterioration
You can stop the deterioration of your second language through the following:
- Be in touch with the language:
- To stop the deterioration of your second language, you should be in touch with the language continuously.
To be in the touch you should
- Read: You can read books, magazines, e-books, or news in that language. Reading will also help you in maintaining your vocabulary. Reading news will help you to know current affairs.
- Write: Writing helps you to maintain the knowledge of the sentence structure and vocabulary of the language you are writing.
- Speak: Practice makes a man perfect. And in the times when you are not in a suitable environment, speaking practice is the best way to be in touch with the language. It helps you remember the tones, articulations, and voice modulations.
It is the best way to practice speaking. When you speak with your friends in any language, you talk to them without any hesitation. It helps you to speak fluently and boosts your confidence.
Join a language learning group:
In a group, you can talk, discuss, and practice speaking your second language with those who also want to maintain the knowledge. Such groups organize different activities once a week. The activities include extempore, speech, debate, group discussions, storytelling and many more.
Download a language learning app:
If you don’t have much time to join a language group, you can download a free app that helps you to be in touch with the language. These apps have different modes and methods to keep your knowledge sharp.
Learn Languages Live-Multibhashi is the best app you can download. The app is supported by Artificial intelligence. The app can work in many languages. It also helps you to learn more than one language at a time.
It offers courses in English, French, German, Korean, Chinese, Hindi, and many other Indian languages.
If you also feel that you should be in touch with your second language, then download the app here!
All the best!