Kannada is a member of the Dravidian language family. Dravidian language is primarily spoken in the Southern part of India. Kannada is spoken in Karnataka. This language is divided into different variants. There are significant southern, northern, and coastal differences, and along with this their social class can also be identified based on their language. Depending on which part of Karnataka you are living in, your dialect will vary accordingly. Spoken Kannada and written Kannada are different from each other. Kannada has its own writing system. It is a mixture of a hybrid of an alphabet and syllabic writing. It has many round symbols that are a part of the typical writing system of Southern India. You will have fun learning the writing patterns. Like many Indian languages, Kannada has its own beautiful, flowing script and several loan words from Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, and English.
Learning Kannada is not that much difficult. If you are really interested to learn the language then with little effort you will be able to learn Kannada. You need to get familiarised with the structure of the language. In this blog, I will discuss with you what you have to do to learn Kannada.
Important steps to know before you start:
- You need to identify your goals first. Why do you want to learn Kannada? Is it for basic conversation or for professional purposes or just for the sake of learning or maybe for some other reasons? Identify the exact reason and then move on to the next step.
- Create your study plan according to your goal. Don’t try to learn everything at once and take the stress. Instead, try to create a simple study plan according to your requirement.
- Decide the method of your study. You need to decide whether you are going to learn from textbooks, apps, podcasts, youtube channels, online paid or free classes, or from other resources. You must remember one thing, that is all resources are not suitable for every learner. You need to prefer to choose visually attractive worksheets and grammar-based explanations. Or maybe you choose some resources for learning speaking and writing. Try out new things and see what suits you better.
- Try to keep track of your progress, this will help you to improve your learning. You must reread something you read or wrote a few months ago, rewatch a TV show, or relisten to a podcast. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by just how far you’ve improved.
- Don’t learn Kannada in a boring way. Try to learn it by following some interesting or fun-filled method.
How to learn Kannada:
- Start with the basics. Learn small words in Kannada like, What, Why, Who, How, Name, Place, Here, There, Come, Go, etc. Learn a few greetings, expressions, and salutations like Namaskara, Hegiddeera, Chennagideera, etc. Learn how to introduce yourself in Kannada.
- Learn a few small phrases that are used regularly. Learn how to ask for help, inquire about products, give orders to someone, to talk to your cab driver. Learn some general questions and phrases.
- You need to be polite and use plural form to address a singular person while speaking politely. Learn some Kannada phrases that will help you to be polite when you speak with someone.
- Learn at least 10 new words daily and try to apply them by framing sentences on your own. Understand the language structure properly. You can free download apps to learn various words.
- Learn Kannada grammar properly. Learn the important verbs, nouns, pronouns, genders, time, numbers, vegetable’s name, fruit’s name, tenses, conjunctions, and many other things through various resources available online. Understand the gender system in Kannada. There are three categories of gender applied to nouns in Kannada. They are masculine, feminine, and neuter. This can be a bit tricky for English speakers.
- Learn the Kannada alphabet. Understand the writing system of Kannada.
- Learn Kannada pronunciation, don’t hesitate to speak. Speak the language at every possible opportunity. Try to speak with native Kannada speakers. It is ok to use fewer Kannada words and more English words. Kanglish is popular in Bangalore. However, constantly try to improve your Kannada vocabulary.
- Listen to Kannada news, it will help you in learning the language better. Listen to the conversations of people around in the Kannada language.
- You can watch Kannada movies (preferably with subtitles), and this can be of great help. This is an important and entertaining way to improve your language skills.
- For advanced learning, you need to take an online course, as it will be very much beneficial for you.
- You can read Kannada journals, follow Kannada-language vloggers, and influencers. You can try to write blogs or short stories, letters, and articles in Kannada.
- Read Kannada comic strips, poems in Kannada. Try to speak the names of the things, foods, fruits, etc which you use daily in the Kannada language.
- Revise regularly and practice constantly. This is the ultimate ladder to success!
Trying to speak the language you are learning will help you to learn the language better. By following the above-mentioned methods and steps then you will probably learn Kannada comparatively faster. Learning Kannada with the help of a tutor will make it much easier for you to learn. You can definitely book classes with Multibhashi, where Kannada is taught according to your suitable curriculum, and flexible timings from the comfort of your home. You can choose any of the methods you wish, but the final success will come when you will try to speak, listen, read and write in Kannada on a regular basis. Wish you good luck ahead!