Hindi is a language spoken widely in India. Although there are many English speakers now Hindi still remains the first choice of people. Not only in India there are many countries across the globe that speak Hindi as their first language. It is the mother tongue of many people. Hindi is considered to be a very simple and interesting language. The most interesting part of the language is that it is related to Bollywood. The Bollywood movies, the actors and actresses, and the Bollywood songs are loved by people all over the world. People in many different parts of the world dance to the beats of Bollywood music. The culture is what also makes Hindi a very rich language.
If you have taken the decision to learn Hindi then I must say that it is a very wise decision. It is very important that you follow a step by step procedure to learn the language. Note down 13 simple steps that you can follow in order to learn the Hindi language.
13 Simple steps:
- Start with learning the letters: knowing the correct pronunciation of each Hindi letter is very important so that you can start with a good foundation. Enhance yourself with the correct word pronunciation. Also study the vowels and the consonants.
- Learn the vocabulary words: if you want to speak a language you should know the vocabulary of that language. So the common words that you use daily you should know to speak that in the Hindi language. It is advisable to make a list of all the vocabulary words and keep on adding more words to it daily.
- Listen: the more you listen the more you will be able to understand the language better. It is also a very good way to know more vocabulary words.
- Learn phrases: Hindi is very famous for it’s well known phrases and proverbs. You can enjoy the delight of the language if you know these phrases and proverbs and you can use them in various situations.
- Learn important sentences: first you need to start by learning sentences that can be used to start communication with somebody, maybe by asking names or asking where they live or about their business. So you should know all these basic sentences.
- Listen to audio/ watch videos: listen to a lot of audio in Hindi or watch Hindi videos with subtitles. You get to learn a lot about the language -how a word is pronounced. Whenever you are listening to something make sure you always have a book and pen with you to note down a new word that you have heard along with its meaning. You can also make it entertaining by watching Hindi movies.
- Grammar: you will be able to frame a sentence correctly only if you know the correct grammar. There are many parts of grammar that you need to cover one by one like Gender, Nouns, Pronouns, and Adjectives. All these grammar topics should be done after you have gone through the vocabulary of Hindi because all these grammar topics will take you through more words that you need to memorize. You also have to know tenses and verbs.
- Revise: you must have gathered so much information till now. It is very important that you revise the information that you have gathered till now so that you do not forget anything.Revision is also important to achieve fluency. It shouldn’t be that you are going ahead in the journey of learning the language but you have forgotten the basic rules. So dedicate a time where you can revise what you have learnt till now.
- Practice: practice is the key to learning anything. You will be able to learn conversational Hindi if you make proper arrangements for your practice. When I say practice it means that you need to actually have conversations in Hindi. You can find for yourself a friend who knows Hindi or somebody who is aiming to learn Hindi and practice conversational Hindi with them. You can conduct this online or offline. Group study has always been beneficial even when we were in school and we all enjoy it. When you are doing a group study there are many more exercises and ways in which you can learn better- trying to memorize the days of the week in Hindi, the month of the year, how to greet and all such things. You can arrange some fun activities like games or something or asking quiz questions to each other to improve Hindi while having fun.
- Read: always start by reading story books of children. That is because these books are in simple language and you will be able to understand what is written there. Most of the words will be familiar to you since you have practiced and learned so much till now.
- Speak: speaking in front of the mirror if there is nobody with whom you can practice Hindi as that shouldn’t be an excuse to not practice. The best advice that I’ve ever received is practicing in front of the mirror. Talk to yourself, correct yourself and build up the confidence that you require.
- Converse: even if you do not know how to speak the sentences perfectly you still need to communicate with people in Hindi. If you belong to India there are maximum chances that people around you would be speaking this language. If not, use every opportunity that you get to speak this language. Do not be afraid to make mistakes but instead learn from them. That is the only way to build up your confidence.