Kannada is the official language of Karnataka. It is a language that is spoken mainly in the southern states of India. The majority of Kannada-speaking people live in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Kerala. It is indeed necessary to be able to understand and speak Kannada if you’re living or working in southern Indian. Today we are going to discuss how to practice Kannada, both verbal and written. There are many practical ways in which you can practice speaking and writing Kannada.
We will look at a few of them in this blog.
Things to keep in mind
- Firstly you need to be able to understand the words and memorize them. Until and unless you have become familiar with the words you will not be able to start even a casual conversation. So in order to understand the vocabulary you need to start practicing reading and writing the alphabets. Use a beginner’s textbook. Learn the alphabets and numbers. You can practice through the exercises of many mobile apps. One rule of thumb is to stick to one textbook and one application. Using multiple books or applications will lead you to confusion.
- Another fun way of practicing Kannada is singing Kannada songs. Singing is said to one of the best mood boosters. With your mind fresh, learning new things will be very effective. You can also use the help of lyrics initially. Once you have become familiar with the lyric of a particular song and able to hum it, you can check the interpretation of the lyrics in one of your familiar languages. After this, you will be able to understand and use the words in the lyric in a later conversation.
- Practicing dialogue in many popular Kannada movies is also as effective as listening and singing along to Kannada songs. Practice singing as well as mimic the dialogues and you will find yourself very familiar with Kannada and be able to start casual conversations. YouTube has been very effective in learning as well. You can practice writing and speaking Kannada with the help you the many YouTube tutorials. In these tutorials, you will be able to understand how to pronounce Kannada words correctly as well as how to write Kannada effectively and correctly. If you are living in the southern part of India you are at an advantage. You can practically start a conversation with a shopkeeper, a taxi driver, a delivery person, a plumber, etc. Having a conversation is one of the most effective practices in learning a language. The more conversation you have the more is the improvement. Those who live in other parts of the country will not have this advantage. So the best way to have a conversation is to chat or talk on the phone with your friends who can speak Kannada. Let them correct your mistakes and take their advice on how to improve.
- Joining an online course like this will also greatly improve your speed and efficiency to learn as well as practise this language.
- Like any other practice, you need to find out for yourself in which area you need improvement. Focus more on the area where improvement is needed and practice things and exercises which can help you improve in that particular area. You might also some practices very effective to you and some might not be. Explore other practices by yourself and keep practising. Things will get very easy and you will get the results of all the practices