Portuguese, a Romance language, originated from Portugal. Although it originated in Portugal, there are more Portuguese-speaking people in Brazil than in Portugal. There are about 270 million Portuguese speakers in the world. Out of these, about 187 million Portuguese speakers live in Brazil and the rest being scattered all across the globe with the main concentration in Portugal, Africa, and the USA. However, the Portuguese spoken in Brazil is different from the one spoken in Europe. There are four main forms of Portuguese today: Central, Southern, Insular, and Brazilian. Portuguese is also similar to Spanish, another Romance language. If you want to visit Brazil, Portugal, or any other Portuguese speaking nations you will definitely need to know Portuguese to communicate. Besides, it is always an advantage to be able to speak another language other than your native tongue. So let’s go ahead and check the different ways to learn how to speak Portuguese fluently.
Simple ways to learn Portuguese:
- The first thing that you need in learning any language is to regard it as just another language that you are trying to learn no matter how complex the language is. This will build your confidence and enable you to learn it easily and effectively. Without confidence, you will find yourself quitting and waste all the efforts.
- One of the best and easiest ways to learn Portuguese is to stay and live in a Portuguese-speaking family for a while. If you live with a family or group of people who speaks Portuguese you will definitely be hearing their conversations. These conversations will be instilled in your mind and you will be able to understand Portuguese unprompted. If you live in India, you can mingle yourself with Portuguese-speaking people in Goa.
- Get a Portuguese language beginners’ book. Learn the 23 Portuguese alphabets and basic vocabulary. The more Portuguese vocabulary you know the more words you can use in any conversation in Portuguese. Always take up a small set of words at a time to avoid confusion.
- Once you are able to read Portuguese words, read them aloud. This will definitely help you in pronouncing the words correctly. Besides, other people can also help you correct your pronunciation if they happen to hear you reading out the words loudly.
- Listen to Portuguese songs, podcasts, radios, etc. Sing along as much as you can. You will forget for a while that you are trying to learn a language but you will find yourself trying to learn the song that you are listening to. After singing along several times you will ultimately find yourself being able to sing along.
- Watching Portuguese movies and imitating the dialogues spoken is another effective way to learn how to speak Portuguese fluently. It is as effective as singing along with Portuguese songs. The thrill that you get from watching the movies will trigger you to learn the dialogues very effectively.
- Besides listening to Portuguese music and watching Portuguese movies, learning YouTube Portuguese learning tutorials in a very effective way. These tutorials will show you the proper and effective ways on how to learn and speak Portuguese correctly. YouTube learning has become very popular and effective in recent years.
- Install a Portuguese language learning application on your mobile phones. There are several apps from which you can select a great one. Use that app daily and practice the exercises given. The more you practice the more you improve.
- There are lots of practical ways from which you can learn how to speak fluently. Knowing these ways only will not improve your speaking. The only way to improve and be able to speak the language fluently is to be consistent and patient. Without these virtues, you will not be able to accomplish whatever you are trying to achieve.
Here are the nine easiest practical ways which you can follow in order to learn how to speak Portuguese fluently. Practice always makes you better and better. Check and review where you need more improvement. Always be patient and be ready to take advice and tips for learning. Try to have a Portuguese conversation whenever and wherever you can. Things will definitely come to their place and you will see the results of your efforts.